Young employees show enthusiasm towards their first job, they adhere company policies and are more sincere at work place, this is why young employees get hired. More flexible to work for extra hours. Also they come up with most innovative initiatives that would help the organization grow. They also try to develop the traditional standards with their updated knowledge which is a good sign for any organization, but on darker side due to lack of experience many youngsters get fired for the damage that occurred to the organization because of their small mistake. So here are few advantages and disadvantages of hiring young employees.
Advantages of Hiring Young Employees:
1. Passionate to work: Young employees are much active and vigorous to work when compared to the experienced employees. Since it is a first job, their eagerness and enthusiasm will help the employers to expect much dedication and performance. They enjoy the work place since they are passionate. As they are hungry to learn something new, it will help the organization to provide best training so that they can apply it in their duties. They analyze their roles and responsibilities to the deep roots and understand the company standards.
2. Optimists: The young generation develops positive attitude towards work. They build healthy relations with the team to understand about his/her first nature of job. With proper training, a trainee can turn into any professional as per organization requirement. With open mind they will accept the roles and responsibilities because they do not have experience to urge for a particular role. They are bound to each policy that are designed by the organization. All they would require is proper onboarding. They wanted to develop their career, so learning about the job role will be interesting for them.
3. High Productivity: Young employees try to excel in their role and will try to impress with their initial results. This will help the productivity of organization, the enthusiasm will create to give the best from them. They would also start competing with the other senior employees in order to build their career, they get paid off for their excellence hence major advantage hiring young employees is productivity. They try to set tiny goals for themselves to get equally recognized with other employees. They try to intake more details of their duties in order to avoid errors. Organization need not worry about the time invested in their training because they would help for long term organization goals
4. Easy to manage: It is easy to manage young employees, because their attitude towards job is more sincere when compared to seniors. They would be ready to stretch hands to contribute their help at times when organization needs extra working hours. Their expectations are low. They can work with multi tasks, because they understand the necessity of job these days. They are more flexible to timings and benefits. They strictly follow the guidelines of their trainers or mentors, so it is not a tough job to get along with them.
5. Generates New initiatives: Young employees have fresh knowledge of their curriculum, they are more updated with the technologies and strategies. So they can lay a foundation for new innovation which will reflect the future growth of organization. They think in a smart way and come up with different thoughts in a different perspective, which is very much required for a business to grow and to change the traditional method of business. They would require to hire young employees in order to grow vertically, and to compete with other organizations it is not enough to just sustain but should be able to set unique way of making business.
6. Versatility: One cannot grow with same old way of techniques, there should be a change in process. Smart and updated new generation employees are much needed for those companies which ruled the world in past but failed to do it in current years. An idea can change the world. They come up with cost effective ideas and smarter way of performing a task which will not only save the time but will also help to focus on the key elements of business. They may lack experience but not lack of knowledge. Those who participated in initiatives will be helpful for the future projects, why because they are aware of hurdles involved in it.
7. Recreates workplace environment: New generation expect their workplace environment to be refreshing and inspiring. They will help to recreate the work culture. This will not only inspire them to work but also excites others to work with them. A healthy work culture will directly affect the organization growth. A boring work place may not encourage the employees perform their duties efficiently, so it is necessary to have employees of young generation to work with fun and deliver results . Also they are not influenced by politics around them, their focus and goals will be very clear. Hence they can perform efficiently. They also contribute best to help their mentors or trainers which will build a best work force environment.
8. Cost to company is low: Unlike the experienced candidates the hiring managers need not worry about the pay roll expectation of young employees. Due to recession many of them are in trouble to find job these days, so no one will afford to lose a platform which will help for their career. So compared to experience candidates the employers can invest low budget to these employees, though the load of training cost will be more but productivity will refund this initial cost to the company. Few companies enforce security deposit, in the event the employee does not complete the prohibition period, the total training cost will be recovered from that amount.
9. They adopt easily: Last but not the least, they can learn things easily, they can adopt the nature of job within no time, since it is not much time they have left their colleges and studies. The enthusiasm to learn and adopt is much higher when compared to experienced. So when a company wanted to start something new, these young employees will best fit to start up. More than anything they are more healthy than older employers of the organization. They have more energy to work for long hours irrespective of any working conditions. Hence the employers prefer young employees
Disadvantages of Hiring Young Employees:
1. Lack of Stability: Many of the young employees have no clear vision of their careers. They join for a company and once they find any other good opportunity they will switch to other companies, this will be a huge loss to organization. Since the effort and time invested in providing benefits and training will be a huge loss for the employers, instead they can hire good number of experienced candidates and provide them benefits and they will sustain for longer period. This is the major disadvantage of hiring young employees.
2. Lack of skills: For some specific roles they needed a experienced candidate so that they can handle the task in a professional manner. Due to lack of knowledge there is a high possibility to cause damage to the assets, which incur the cost to the company, to avoid such issues employers do not prefer young employees. Much skilled persons are aware of the company assets and to deal with the environment. It is not possible to extend training to those who lack behind in understanding the concepts, because its merely a waste of time for the organization. Instead they would prefer experienced people.
3. Discipline Issues: Not all, but most of them are unaware of work culture environment. They do not turn up on time, they do not strictly follow the HR rules. Many of them try to take leaves more than they are provided with, which is a question of discipline. They also damage the work force environment due to lack of maturity about work culture. The employers expect every individual to follow the same policies. They may damage the diversity that is existing in the company. This will prevail bad influence on others, and will pave way for new issues in the company. Hence this is also one of the disadvantage.
4. Failure of handling pressure: At times company would expect the responsible to handle heavy projects to be completed in a specific period of time, they give up the job or discontinue. There are many reasons why they cannot handle pressure, it may be lack of training or due to lack of smart way to complete the task or lack of corporate way of working. The managers will be wholly depended on these employees with a strong belief that they would complete task. They would expect because they are getting paid, so obviously they put pressure on employees to meet the targets assigned to them.
5. Frustration: Experienced candidates know how to handle situations and how to handle the management. But when coming to young employees, they may lose patience and get frustrate when something went wrong. In critical times, the older employees would manage it perfectly because of their experience in particular field. These young guys would either show it on work or on the manager or co-workers which is bad way of managing. The older employers are aware of professional behavior at work place. This is why they choose older employees upon youngsters.
6. Irresponsible: They do not have much awareness about business. It will take them years to understand the big picture how it works, so lack of practical knowledge they may not get along with job. Which is called irresponsible in terms of workforce. Every situation is new to them, they may have bookish knowledge but when coming to practical it needs experience. So the burden automatically increases, since they have no idea of what consequences occur to the organization, they extend the time limit of assigned task. In that case if we look into broad picture, the non billable hours increase for the company. It impacts financial aspects.
7. They find difficulty to accept feedback: Since its a new place for a candidate, there will be heap of instructions and guidelines for them, also they may receive positive and negative feedback at regular basis until they excel in role. Most of them receive negative feedback, they find it difficult to accept it, they feel it as they have been warned. But actually it will improve their performance, this is also one of the cons of hiring them.
8. Much Depended on technology: These days they are more prone to technology, they would expect results in a smart way, that is something to be appreciated, but they do not have idea to find alternative solution in case of some critical issues and they fail to work. If the youngsters are at trouble, they should fetch the experienced employees for manual or alternatives to complete the case for time being. This nature will come along with experience hence the employers do not take risk to hire young employees.
9. Lack of Supremacy: It is tough time for young bosses to manage the experienced peers. It is difficult job to handle the older employees who carry lot of wisdom and knowledge. It is sensitive, that is why the organization do not prefer to rule the experienced candidates. It is question of loyalty, management cannot take action against the experienced employees because of the immaturity of a young boss. The discrepancy increases and it will raise to new politics in company. Management expects the business results but not political dramas at work place. They both have equal attitude the former employers expect respect because of their long service and the young blood also expect same for his great efforts achieved in less time.
To wrap up organization prefer loyal, focused and talented employees. So based on the scope they can be provided equal opportunities to show their performance.