“Precaution is better than cure“- perfectly matches the current prevailing situation which we all are going through.
Coronavirus or COVID-19 is worsening the conditions day after day all over the world. Moreover as there is no medicine yet for this deadly virus, taking precautionary steps is the wise thing one can do to avoid this coronavirus.
The spread of coronavirus need to be cut down as it is not only effecting human life but also economy in a negative way. So to begin with staying at home and maintaining cleanliness is the best option available. This not only helps to avoid COVID-19 but also any other type of flu or cold causing virus.
Based upon a recent study, coronavirus is contagious and is often spread through droplets transmitted by an infected person on to a surface or an object. If any person gets in contact with the infected person or any such surface or object and then touches his mouth, nose or eyes, the person gets infected.
As per Aubree Gordon, an epidemiologist and associate professor at the University of Michigan’s School of Public Health, “It is also possibly transmitted through indirect transmission, where the virus is deposited on a surface, people touch the surface and then their mouth, nose or eyes.”
Now to understand how to stay safe at home due to COVID-19 spread, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have issued a complete guide on avoiding the coronavirus spread.
How to Protect Your Home and Family Against Coronavirus?
Just as you maintain cleanliness , it is also important to make your family stay safe and protect your home from the coronavirus. Make sure to stock up all the necessary things that is helpful in maintaining cleanliness at home.
Making use of good disinfectants can help you kill all type of bacteria and germs in your house and safeguard your family. Maintaining proper hygiene and cleanliness is the only way to stay away from such deadly virus.
Important Precautions to Take While Staying at Home to Prevent Coronavirus:
- Washing your hands with hot water and soap for at least 20 seconds
- Make use of alcohol based hand sanitizers
- Do not touch your face, mouth, nose or eyes very often
- Make sure to use good disinfectants to clean your house
- Always clean the floor and surfaces which are used very often
- Dust out the surfaces before using any kind of disinfectant sprays or fluids
- You can also make use of floral or any kind of scented disinfectants
- Door knobs, bathrooms, utensils and common objects used must be cleaned very often
- Educate your kids about the importance of cleanliness
- Provide your family members with one hand sanitizer each
Make sure to use commonly used home appliances like
- Air purifiers
- Sanitizing dish washers
- Air filters
- Washing machine with good detergent powders and bleach
- Steam cleaner
- Water purifiers
- Vacuum cleaner
- Electronic duster
Disinfecting Routine to Follow on a Daily Basis:
- Clean and disinfect most used surfaces like tables, chairs, cabinet surfaces, floor, stairs etc
- Make use of a clean towel everyday
- Use neatly washed dish towels in kitchen
- Empty wastebaskets and dust bins frequently
- Spray disinfectants on objects to make it dirt and bacteria free
- Disinfectant bathroom washbasins and faucets
- Use a good liquid dishwasher to clean up utensils
- Do not spill in and around house openly
- Make use of sanitizing wipes
- Daily use of fresh towels and clothes helps to prevent germs and bacteria
Disinfecting Routine to Follow on a Weekly Basis:
- Wash your clothes, towels and other things using good detergents
- Disinfect your kitchen sink and utensils
- Wipe out stains from your dishwasher using got disinfectants
- Wash your bedding and blankets in hot water
- Clean your bathroom floor and cabinets and shelves using disinfectants
- Mop well, surfaces, shelves and other cabinets
- Use vacuum cleaner for cleaning carpets
- Disinfect bathroom handles, knobs, taps, cabinets, mirrors etc
- Clean your tooth brush holder
- Disinfect your desktop, laptop , cabinet, table and other appliances used on a daily basis.
- Vacuum all curtains before spraying disinfectant
How to Clean Your Home for Coronavirus?
Having a dust free and virus free home will help to stay away from any kind of coronavirus attack. Not only coronavirus but it can also keep you safe from all kinds of virus which can cause flu or cold or any health issues.
So cleaning and dusting off your home is very much necessary and important.Though most of the precautionary steps are publicized and known to everybody, still there are few questions which many are looking for. For your convenience, we have enlisted few questions along with answers.
Questions which give a clear idea regarding cleaning your home are
How often should cleaning be done at home?
Does sanitizing wipes work?
Yes they do. Food quality sanitizing wipes help kill 99.9% germs
What if there are no cleaning sprays or wipes?
If there are no disinfectants or wipes, then using soap or liquid soaps can act better as an alternative. Moreover soapy water can act as good sanitizer for cleaning surfaces and killing germs.
What do you mean by high touch surface?
High touch surfaces are the ones which you and your family members use or touch multiple times a day. Some of the examples are
- Light switches
- Faucet handles
- Toilet seats
- Door knobs
- TV remotes
Are gloves helpful?
Gloves are very much useful for cleaning but if unavailable using disinfectants or sanitizing sprays can be used as alternate.