Working abroad is working away from your homeland. Now a days it has become a fashion to move abroad and work in order to earn money. People move from one country to another in search of job or to settle. Now at least one member from the family is surely seen either preparing to move abroad or has already settled there. Earning in dollars, euro, yen etc. that is in foreign currency and their life style most probably attracts the people and this is the ultimate reason of people going abroad. The advantages and disadvantages of working abroad are given below:
The advantages of working abroad:
1. Good standard of living: People who work abroad live with high standard and their life style changes to greater extent. Life in other countries is altogether different than the home country. If we move from one place to another, we experience difference in all the things, be it culture, style of living, food habits, language, atmosphere, ambience, likes, dislikes and many other things that at times remain unnoticed.
2. Experience different cultures: The people who choose to work abroad experience different religious as well as working cultures. They get to learn a lot about more than one culture. It enhances their knowledge and also makes them aware of their surroundings and the whole world.
3. Travel whole world: Working abroad also helps a person to travel. One gets to see the whole world along with doing work. It can also act as refreshment from work for few days and can make a person more excited moving to another country for work.
4. Learning languages: Moving from one country to another helps a person to know diverse languages. Apart from the mother tongue, one learns German, French, American English and many others according to the country one lives for the work.
5. Learning team work: It is heard that the people in abroad has the best quality of working in a team. A person learns how to work in team and also gets to know the criteria and methods by which they work. One gets to learn a lot by visualizing as well as working among them in an office.
6. Earning in foreign currency: One gets to earn a lot, thus building a strong bank balance. A person if moves from India to America, will earn in dollars and as the value of their currency is more, a person will earn more, thus will help in near future.
7. Meeting and tackling people of heterogeneous nature: As we move away from our homeland, we come across people with different cultures, languages, ideas, beliefs, methods of working, nature and so on. This way meeting different people from different countries, one gets to learn how to tackle people of heterogeneous nature. This adds to skill of handling a large scale company with many employees.
8. Gives weightage to resume: Working abroad gives weightage to the resume. It helps you to stand out of the crowd. Wherever a person goes, he or she is given the preference as he or she gets an international experience. So, in this way such a resume is given more preference than any other.International work experience is first and foremost choice for the competitors.
9. More chances of promotion: A person with international experience has more chances of promotion and success. A person gets success and promoted in early stage just due to the stamp of an international experience in a particular field. It helps you to develop at faster rate and helps further your career at quicker rate.
10. Improves communication skills: A person is able to improve his communicative skills as he or she come across language barriers and many cultural differences. By dealing with all such barriers one learns the skill of communicating with people of different cultures and languages.
The disadvantages of working abroad are as follows:
1. Lot of money is required: In order to move abroad and work there, the first and foremost thing required is hefty amount of money. If you cannot spend a lot of money, you cannot think of working abroad and settling there. So,this becomes an initial hinderance to work overseas.
2. International business does not stick with a person for long: A person if works overseas have to move from one country to another and this way a person is not able to stick to one thing. Such type of fluctuation in work is a great barrier and diverts ones mind, affecting the work to larger extent.
3. Feeling of loneliness and no stability: As one has to move frequently from one place to another, one may feel lonely as the friend circle and social life is affected on the whole. Missing the old friends and family i.e. feeling homesick badly is the common thing. One has to fight all such emotions to move ahead.
4. Different cultures: As every country has it’s own culture, beliefs and values, understanding all those immediately is very difficult. So suffering from cultural shock, difference in behaviour pattern of people from different countries is a great disadvantage of working abroad.
5. Learning new languages in short span: A person has to learn number of languages that too in a short span of time. Learning languages is also a herculean task and if not learnt by a person then it can lead to communication barrier. A person will not be able to understand what other says, neither will be able to communicate well.
6. Not able to enjoy the traditional holidays at homeland: The person remains void of enjoying all the traditional festivals like Diwali, lohri and Christmas and so on. One has to work incessantly without any occasional holiday. This also sometimes frustrates a person and thus affects the work quality.
7. Living conditions: This is not always sure that you will get the best condition to live in as every country does not provide a person with good working condition. It will depend highly on where you choose to live for your work.
8. People may or may not be rude: You never know what kind of people you will come across. Rude or polite, whatever natured a person is, one has to tackle in a smart way as you are working overseas. One must learn the custom and habit of people in the country you are moving. “When in Rome, do as Romans do, is a great tip for people working overseas”.
9. No guarantee of getting a good position in another country: It is not necessary always that you will be relocated at the same post in the next country. For those who think of leaving a country and current post for the purpose of settling abroad should not expect for a guaranteed same post. One may even get less salary than the present. So, one has to be prepared with all such risks one may go through.
10. Safety issues: One may either do not feel safe overseas. No friends, no family, no social life and all such things should be taken into notice before hand and should be prepared emotionally before leaving for abroad.
11. Learning new norms and laws: Every country has it’s own rules and norms of working. Adapting those norms within a blink of an eye is difficult but if the norms are strict and a person fails to attempt according to those rules,one may fall into greater trouble, that may further become a never ending process.
12. Lower level jobs: One may get a lower level job or can even get menial work to do in the intial stages in case the experience in the homeland is not good enough. So, for such circumstances, one has to be prepared and be strong enough to handle a difficult situation in case a person comes through.
So, above are the various advantages and disadvantages of working abroad. No matter how many disadvantages it has, one must look forward with positive attitude towards the advantages and move ahead in life. Everything in life has pros and cons, leaving aside the cons, one must look ahead and choose what one feels to be right. Every person aspires to go abroad, work and finally settle there. In order to go abroad, one has to start from the scratch and work accordingly. It is not impossible but yes difficult enough. Moreover the grass is always green on the other side and before getting attracted to the greener portion of the grass, one must get through the darker side too.As knowing the both comforts and difficulties is must before starting any new work.