‘Do what you love’ is one advice given by many luminaries and other people. In that manner in 2005, Steve Jobs at Stanford University made an advice to students to do what they love in their career. Do you think this advice would work out the best for all individuals? Doing things related to career, can lead an individual to success in their career. In the same manner there are individuals who love experimenting with cookbooks, read a number of literary books, and a lot more. ‘Doing what you love’ has a number of consequences and hence requires a careful journey. Let’s address a few aspects related to why ‘Do what you love’ is a bad career advice.
Here’s Why Do What You Love Is Terrible Career Advice:
1. Abundant activities are available: According to the saying ‘Do what you love’, every individual loves number of activities and they enjoy doing them. Any individual can be questioned and you can gain an answer for about twenty or more of their favorite activities which they enjoy doing. In that manner when you need to follow the above mantra, it is required to think about picking the right ones amongst the lot or to formulate all activities into a singular one.
2. Work is more divine than money: The idea mentioned as ‘Do what you love’ is that money is focused on a primary aspect and that money would track your path. It is mandatory that all of us must care work more than money. It is also vital to feel challenged and engaged at the work place. We should work with a motto to do something beneficial to the society. Employees should work and grow with the organization and provide respect for all individuals. It is good to care about money but working is an enhanced aspect than money.
3. Gaining money is not assured: It is a true fact that there is surely no guarantee when you do something you love. You may reap money or may not. It is to be understood by all individuals that the world is different and it is unknown to any of your passions. Doing something you love must be aspects that are required by the people and would help you gain money. If this aspect is not understood then the individual would surely lose or stand out as unemployed.
4. Success is something ahead of what you love: If an individual wants to do something he loves and needs to be successful then he must possess talent in the same. If talent doesn’t work he must, at least, have good luck. An example can be that an individual decides that he loves to play basketball the next day. This is something he loves but has a number of hindrances in achieving it. Few obstacles are that the individual may be 46 years old, or maybe the individual is lying and more. Hence doing something you love is not very easy.
5. Need for marketing talent: It is a fact that many aspects can be learned in the course of time, but turning something you love into career requires more of energy, hard work, and commitment. It is equally important to understand that when you initiate what you love doing and that leads to a drop down in business then there is no substitute that can assist you in marketing your business. Hence being good at marketing is an aspect that can help you in business than doing what you love. Hence before stepping forward for doing something you love, you should cross check if you have the right talent and if you could market anything you love.
6. There is no work called what we love: Any category of work you love is just a part of work. Any work, even the one you love would have about 50 hours of work that requires to be worked and about less than 10% is for client work. The other aspects of work include writing blog posts, working on websites, and promotion of business.
Any individual can be happy about the above-mentioned work to be done; the truthful part is that nothing would fall under the category of their loved job. Almost all careers are similar; there isn’t any specific chore that you love. It is sometimes for lucky people that they get to do what they love, for 50% and the other half of time is occupied by other tasks as mentioned.
7. There are times where passion becomes nightmares: At times, passion becomes nightmares, this is explained with an example. Rod Serling was one who loved writing Twilight Zone, there was a time period where he got a lot of money for writing. At that time, his passion for work became a chore, burden, and an obligation. Whatever he loved doing became a nightmare where money became the main motto. There are jobs that you love, but its up to you to decide where one’s passion may fall.
8. Avoiding shared responsibility: When you follow the advice do what you love, one merely works towards their inherent selfishness. It is just working for one and their own needs and leaving out others. When an individual does what they love, there is no shared responsibility to one another and hence love what you do idea is bad.
9. They are career decisions: Career decisions are ones which should be decided as what kind of life one desires and not dependent on doing what you love. If an individual is excited about doing what they love, then its a fact to remember that it’s quite normal and one should ignore it. Individuals should remember to do something that caters and is assisted with their strength.
10. Passion has limited shelf life: Turning passion into a lifelong vocation is not accomplished by all individuals and only a very few do the same. Passion is being continued as hobbies, lifetime careers and more by very few people. The true fact is that passion has its own destiny and deepest passion is one that has limited shelf life.
11. Follow effort rather than passion: Do what you love is a career advice given by many people because there are many people who are passionate about a number of things in their life. It is equally important to remember that those passions aren’t worth. In order to identify your destiny make sure to know where you apply your time, instead of following passions make sure to follow effort. By this way, success can be reaped in a short course.
12. The benefit of career apart from what you love: When you choose to work in your career other than what you love, you are able to make use of your skill and challenges and formulate fresh ones. You work for a beneficial aspect to benefit everyone which has a meaning. There are ample opportunities which help you to work and enjoy along with more of learning and development process. You are shaped with all your skills and competencies and you are made valuable and marketable as well.
13. Passion does not always have a social impact: Following and working at what you love may not have a social impact. For example, if an individual has a passion towards cracking cocaine then, it would never be perfect. Doing something you love does not guarantee and make a difference. Hence apart from what you love there are other aspects where one needs to be good at their jobs. Some of them are the value of skills developed, the effectiveness of the work and the amount of influence in the job role.
14. Doing what you love cannot be satisfying: When examples like cocaine dealer are considered they are to be tagged as inconsiderable interpretations. In that scenario, it is good to follow your passion advocates. Hence starting from a list of possible careers and following the passion is always a good choice.
15. Career passions aren’t many: Hobby, interest, passion and lot more are quite difficult to differentiate. When you decide to do what you love then it is difficult to survive as passions are rarely valuable. Doing what you love cannot earn you much money and hence it can be considered as a hobby and can be continued in your mean time.
16. DWYL takes time: Doing what you love does not always sync with your career and hence it is different from business career. Newport mentions that loving what you do is something that brings in more respect, sense of control in your life, staying linked with other people and all this offers people a sense that they are doing what they love. In order to focus on career and start with the usual schedule, focusing on career-oriented work can be the right choice. Doing something you love really takes more time to get recognized.
Many of us love a number of aspects and we can do them too, but realizing if you’re paid for the same is important. It is believed that doing something you love will fetch you money, happiness and success. There are examples who won in their life by doing what they love for example Steve jobs, and Mark Zuckerberg are ones. It is not true with all individuals and all category of work they choose and hence one needs to concentrate on the type of work they love. The above mentioned points are beneficial for ones who think do what you love is a valuable advice.