Every organization whether a large enterprise or a start-up needs an efficient manager to keep the people of the company together and make them work effectively. A manager is someone who is well equipped with a toolbox of various skills and information. It is not necessary that an effective manager might be an expert in a said field, but is someone who has complete knowledge and understands the function of a specific work. They are the one who not only understands the technical aspects of something but are also well equipped with human skills required for a manager. A good manager is well informed about their team and knows what, when and how each and every member of their team can work with the best of their capabilities.
It is not necessary that a manager will be a great leader too, but surely is the backbone of any organization, since, they are the one who understand well how people can be managed. With the companies growing and expanding each day, the importance of manager has also grown equally. Now the managers are well trained and equipped with the skill-sets with which they can handle the pressure of the work.
List of Managerial Skills:
A manager’s proficiency depends mostly on the specific team profile. For example, a job profile of sales manager will be different from the work of IT manager. Below are few important manager skill sets for managers of any work sector.
1. Analytical mind: Being analytical for a manager means that they are able to identify the opportunities and the problems in a given situation and can bring out the best of the benefit for the organization. They are then able to plan accordingly with their team and create an action plan to achieve the desired results. The ability to understand the benefits and forecast of the finances of an organization is extremely helpful to be able to achieve the business target and setting up the company towards growth.
2. Solving the problems: For a business to grow and develop further, a manager needs to be highly efficient to be able to solve the problems that come up in the business. In case, something is not performing or working efficiently, it is the manager who is able to identify the problems in that specific area like a vigilante and fix the situation immediately before it gets out of hand.
3. Achieving goals and setting targets: For an effective and a good manager, it is important to be able to know and identify the goals of an organization, it is important for them to communicate and plan this same goal for their team. A clear and precise goal of sales and profits makes it easier for each member of the team to work and function in sync. A manager then guides their team in the best possible way to get those goals and targets with the best possible results.
4. People management: Knowing their team and people is another important aspect for a manager to be highly efficient at. With consistent employee reviews and meetings, a manager is able to identify the strengths and weaknesses of their team and then assign each individual a task accordingly. A manager needs to have a great understanding of people’s skills because this is effective in reviewing their performances and giving promotions depending on the skills of the employee.
5. Highly organized: The business market is highly competitive in the present world, where every minute and second counts, therefore, it becomes important for a manager to be highly organized in their work and processes. Being organized comes in handy to save a lot of time because they then know what and how the things are to be done. Their organizational skills are also helpful for the people in their team as they are able to guide them to do the best of the situation.
6. Leadership skills: It is not necessary that a great leader is a good manager but a good manager can always become a great leader. To make it possible one should have good managing skills and better skills of leadership. A manager might not be the captain of the ship but must understand how a ship sails and what to be done during the time of the crisis. A manager need to possess some leadership skills and qualities because this is good for them to direct and guide their team.
7. Up to date: With so many technological advances happening in various sectors, a manager always knows what is happening in the current scenario. They understand that keeping up with the technology helps them to find the best possible opportunities ahead of others. A good manager not only knows the happenings of their own industry but is aware of what is happening in other sectors too. Knowledge is a powerful tool for any successful manager.
Skills of a Good Manager and Leader:
The following are few managerial skills that a good manager need to possess to succeed at work.
1. Integrity and ethics: A good manager and a leader are the ones who has the strong sense of integrity and ethics. They commit what they do with great results and do the things what they say. Strong sense of integrity develops the sense of trust among the team and business partners. Believing in the things and ideas they mean and putting their best foot to achieve it makes them a great leader that a team always look up to.
2. Highly motivated: A good manager and a leader is someone who has motivated themselves and is capable of motivating the entire team. Most of the people in an organization believe that money is the motivating factor for someone to work for. But the truth is that there is various another factor which can influence the motivation of the team. For example, a good manager understands the problem faced by their team member and provides them the benefit and opportunity to it. They also encourage their team to look for work and home balance, since they understand that a happy home is equally important like a happy workplace for a person.
3. Recognizing the talents and achievements: Majority of the employees wants to be recognized and appreciated for the good work they do. There are very few managers who truly appreciates and recognizes the work done by the employee and those who do are the ones who understand the importance of it. Recognition and appreciation is a highly motivating factor for anyone doing the job and delivering the results for the work. It also develops a sense of belief among the team about their manager.
4. The sense of humor and fun: Business is a work that everyone takes too seriously and forget to have fun. For a good manager, it becomes important that they make the workplace fun and happy as it tends to lighten the place which is under constant pressure. Work hard and party harder is a motto for a good manager because it prevents for the employees to call in for sick or escape when the going gets tough.
5. Capability to connect: Depending on the team size from small to large, many managers finds it hard to connect with the individuals of their team. With regular meetings and reviews, they might be aware of a team member but it is good to connect with them once in a while. For example, asking them about their health or any concern they might be aware of. A person in the team feels connected and important in the eyes of their manager, they then are assured that their manager is concerned about them on a personal level and it encourages them to work for the best.
6. Delegating work: A good manager and a leader know that to get the task done, it is important and effective to delegate the work closely. Most of the managers feel that they need to control each and every detail in the work which is not an effective way to work. A manager who knows the strength and weaknesses of their team and delegates the work accordingly surely gets the work done on time. Delegating work also needs to have a sense of trust between the leader and the team.
Six Key Skills Every Manager Needs:
1. Business development: A good manager is always on the lookout for the opportunities to develop the new business and see the growth of the existing one. They know the areas where the work can be improved and see to it that the relevant action is taken to achieve the higher goal. Their analytical skills come in very handy when looking for new business areas as they understand the scenario ahead of their competitors.
2. Multitasking: A manager has to do a lot of things together, for example, they need to solve the problems, find the opportunities, look out for their team and many others. It requires an immense amount of multi-tasking capability for a manager to do. The important thing for them is to note that rather than getting into the finer details, they are the one who manages the bigger picture effectively. Hence, multi-tasking is something a manager should enjoy rather than thinking it as a burden.
3. Understanding finances: Every business growth is dependent on their finances, how much of the money is spent and what is the return on investment on it. Finance plays a major role in any business that functions. Therefore, for a good manager having a good knowledge of finances comes in very handy because they can plan and take action only depending on the financial situation of the organization. Their budgeting skills can generate a higher return on investments.
4. Project management: There are multiple projects that tend to happen in a single team to make a business grow. It is the skill of an effective manager who understands to prioritize the project as per the desired result and deadlines and assign the work to the individual team member accordingly. Project management is one of the crucial skills needed for a manager because it helps in delegating the work, deciding on the goals and targets, briefing the team and much more. This single skill holds the key to many doors.
5. Knowledge of the domain: A good manager has the complete information about the organization and the nature of service or product they sell. They understand the importance of defining the role of the each employee keeping in mind the requirement of the organization. They even hire with a clear understanding and knowledge of the work role required and include the diversified people in the team.A good and effective manager then trains and hones the skill of the employee as per the organizational role and use their talent to the full potential.
6. Team building: An effective team requires a diverse nature and work profile for a team to function. There are people with different knowledge, skill sets and attitude. A good manager knows the how’s and to do’s of managing the diverse team and streamlining to the single goal of the organization. A manager should also have good people managing skills. There also are the chances of politics taking place within a team wherein the skills of the manager comes in handy, they see the problems in the team before it takes a serious face and tries to resolve it immediately by taking it to the individuals and finding the best possible solution for it.
Today in a highly competitive business world, a manager is needed in every team. Managerial skills are not something one is born with, but is a skill which can be developed and honed over time. Today every organization understands the importance of a good manager, therefore, they ensure to organize various training sessions for the managers to learn and develop management and leadership skills. Learning is not the only thing one should depend upon to be a manager, but it also comes with work and experience.
A manager is someone with high knowledge and understanding, therefore, it is important for them to be updated with the new i.e. happening in the industry. They know the importance of staying ahead than others in the competitive market. A good manager with proven skills is always in demand in the job market. If one is passionate about management then they should ensure to learn the tricks of the trade sooner, so as to be an effective manager in future.