One best resource which is perfect for your job search is twitter. Twitter gets you linked with new people, organization, jobs, courses and ideas. This online tool can be used in the right manner so that your online brand is improved and you stand on top of the search results. Apart from other social networking sites, twitter is your entry way to expand your network. Being an open network twitter is a perfect platform to get you linked with other professionals. Let’s run through a few twitter tips for job seekers.
Find your New Job With Twitter – Beginner’s Job Guide:
The following mentioned are few best tips on how to use twitter for better job opportunities.
1. Research twitter: Dedicate time and research about twitter, get to read a number of profiles and know its usage. Also make sure to bookmark few profiles which you like to follow. Make a detailed list of your likes and rejections on twitter. Twitter’s user stream can be looked into for profiles.
2. Use real photo: It is suggested to use the real photo to upload in twitter, if you are looking for a job opening then this point is mandatory. It will never sound professional when some other photo is added to the twitter profile.
3. Username for twitter: The username used for twitter must be unique and so pick the one that supports your job search. The username can be altered later. In the retweet usernames are the ones which are included and hence making use of descriptive, short and memorable ones are vital. Descriptions can be aspects that you do professionally and your name would be what you mention. Using real name for twitter account can be helpful in recognizing. For adding a username, 15 characters can be used in twitter excluding @ along with any mix of upper and lower case.
4. Concentrating on keywords: The tweet as well as twitter bio should be concentrated towards keywords. Remember to tweet against topics which are appropriate to the profession.
5. Make an employee focused twitter profile: Your bio is supposed to have 160 characters and hence make sure to use this and describe who you are. Lure the employers and make them come back to you for your bio information.
6. Offer more details for employers: To provide a more detailed version about yourself make sure to add a link to your profile so that complete details about you can be read through it. You can mention your LinkedIn link or some other link which has more details.
7. Following people: Twitter is use for ample purposes where the major one is for a job hunt. If you are one amongst the list using twitter to tap a job, then it is mandatory to follow tweeters related your target industry or area. There are ample twitter applications and directories where people of a specific field can be found out. It is usual that when you follow someone on twitter, they also follow you but remember that this happens only if you have a good history of tweets. This may lead you to lose your followers when you do not have a good history.
8. Tweets related to brand: Professional and job seekers should bear in mind to have a quality history of tweets and tweet something related to profession. Make a habit of updating yourself with blogs, news and latest updates in the industry and tweet accordingly.
9. Getting associated with people: Job hunters must make sure that just by following someone on twitter can be beneficial for job purpose, it is equally important that you’re known by your followers. Using twitter for your job purpose is one way to show that you’re giving off your professional vibe. There may be only 140 characters but making use of interesting conversation by averting controversy and utilizing the right spelling & punctuation is mandatory.
10. Google alert for tweet content: It is always a smart way to tweet first as you’re a job quester. For the same, setting up Google alert by visiting www.google.com/alerts can be used for your goal companies. By this way you become the first to tweet if there are any information from the organizations.
11. Helping others: It is essential to be a smart tweeter and help others at times required. Your ability and authenticity can be presented by helping your tweeters with help at times required by voting a poll, answering any questions, sending them links they require and so on. You can also offer them career expertise which you are well-versed in. By this way your viability as a job seeker is presented.
12. Making use of third party application (API): A third party application can be used by users who find twitter to be baffling and disorganized. Seismic.com, hootsuite.com, tweetdeck.com are few API’s which assists in organizing tweets according to the columns as desired such as reference name, ones consisting hashtag or keywords and listing of followers ones are interested in.
13. Requesting for help: Twitter can be beneficial for job seekers as they can ask for help from anyone else. Seeking help doesn’t conclude that you coming across desperate. You can ask help from ones who report on your industries if there are any hidden job openings in the industry which are not advertised. Job seekers can make use of this feature in twitter.
14. Follow people who wanted to know you: Job seekers should be aware and follow people who are really beneficial. They should follow employers, employees of targeted organizations, recruiters, networking contacts, industry leaders, and individuals who can help you to get connected to recruiters.
15. Being cautious: Be wary when you receive a DM or tweet with someone who has not interacted with you and are ready to offer a job opportunity for you. Judge yourself, are they very good to you and why they are offering a job for you. Make sure to keep your fingers away from clicking any unwanted or unknown links. Seeking help from like @safety can be suggested idea.
16. Use twitter advanced search features: The advanced twitter search function can be utilized for searching for opportunities such as jobs, Portland, Finland etc. This can be very beneficial for job seekers to get the category of search they require.
17. Set up auto-follow: For job seekers who decide to follow people who follow you can make use of tool called SocialOomph which automatically follows people. The tool can also help you to prune your followers list regularly and also weed out spam followers. This weeding out can be done as tweeters are not contributing or may be their tweets aren’t interesting.
18. Tweet often about job search: Present to your twitter friends that you’re hunting for a job. It can be tough to put on an occasional reminder, so post updates regarding career search and its tactics. If you have helped someone on twitter and impressed them, then ask them if they know any referrals. This can be one tip for job seekers on twitter.
19. Follow 75-25 rule: At times of job search process make sure to follow the 75-25 rule where 75% of your tweet must be professional and 25% can be made personal. Job questers are required to follow this tip for a job search to make their tweets more professional.
20. Make your retweets into contacts: Your conversations from twitter can be turned into face to face conversations and phone conversations by a job seeker. When you find that you’ve got a good opportunity make sure to act immediately.
21. Thank your tweets: When you’re involved in twitter, there are people who recommend you, compliment you, and re-tweet you and more. Make it a habit to thank people often so that they avoid clogging your tweet stream.
22. Best Hashtags usage: A hashtag is where ‘#’ is used in front of the word, where it helps twitter users to find tweets with the hashtag. This can be used thoroughly; in the same manner hashtag directory is also present. Job seekers can make a search about the top hashtags and use them for their job search.
23. Tweets with gusto: Tweets can be accompanied with images so that your tweets are improved with more shares and views. Research by buffer has stated that tweets which have images receive 89% more favorites and nearly 150% more retweets than ones without images. Hence job seekers can make use of images in their tweets and make their tweets interesting.
These are a few tips that can be used by job seekers with the help of twitter. There are ample tools and features in twitter which can be useful for job hunting and networking purpose. It is hence suggested that job seekers run through various job sites and get to know the features and apply them in their job hunt. Twitter is being the most talked social media site in terms of job search and hence people can make proper usage of the site.