Trying to figure out what it is that you want to do in life is most certainly not easy at all. The decision is a big one indeed and it proves to be very confusing for a number of people. Each individual has his or her own set of ambitions and it is those ambitions which drive him or her. Some people have great ambitions to achieve success where as there are some people who have other dreams and ambitions like trying to bring about world peace or spread literacy among the less fortune. So if you are someone who is a little confused about what you want to do in life, then just go through this list and think along these lines.
Surefire Ways to Help You Find Your Life Purpose:
1. Be sensitive to the world around you at all times: Unless you keep your eyes as well as ears open at all points in time and remain sensitive to the world around you then chances are that you will miss out on a number of good opportunities that might come your way. In addition to being sensitive to the world around you, you should make it a habit to carry around a camera or a notebook to jot down anything interesting which happens to grab your attention. If you are someone who appreciates even the smallest things in life and are able to find pleasure and beauty in the most unlikely places then maybe it is your calling to become an artist or a photographer.
2. Be honest to yourself no matter what happens: No matter who you lie to or what you might be telling people in the world, you should always remember to be true to yourself at all points in time. Lying to yourself and fooling yourself into believing certain things will never get you very far. It is only when you learn to trust yourself that you will be able to build up your confidence level. If you are unsure about yourself then you will never be able to figure out categorically what it is that you would like to do in your life. In addition to being true to yourself, the more transparent you are in your dealings with others the better it is for you.
3. Be open to new experiences whenever given the chance: If you are really eager to figure out what you want to do in your life, then it is advisable that you remain open and receptive to new experiences. You should be someone to welcome change with open arms as the more experiences you have the easier will it be for you to narrow down on something which you can actually see yourself doing for the rest of your life. It is of paramount importance that you choose something which gives you a sense of direction as well as purposefulness in your life. If you while away your time doing nothing at all then you are making things much more difficult as well as challenging for yourself.
4. Meet and get to know as many people as you can: One can gain knowledge simply by making new friends and interacting with neighbors as well as colleagues. Every individual has his or her own set of experiences to share and by listening to what other have to say, you can avoid making a lot of mistakes on your own. When someone speaks of their career and if you find it very interesting then maybe you should try your hand at that thing as well. The more people who you meet the more contacts you will have and in the business world having good contacts in any field is something that is absolutely invaluable.
5. Experimentation is always a good thing: Over the years there have been many scientists who have done innumerable experiments. Some of these experiments have been successful whereas unfortunately some have ended inconclusively. When you are trying to figure what it is that you want to do in your life you should try your luck at a number of things and experiment along the way. You should really try to focus your energies on the task at hand so that you can give that particular thing a fair chance. If you are half hearted in your approach then you will never be able to achieve success in life. Success comes to those who work hard and have a great amount of perseverance.
6. You must never be afraid of failure at any point in time: If you are trying to figure out what you want to do in life then you should ensure that you have a very positive attitude in the manner in which you go about things and that you do not let the thought of failure discourage you in any way, no matter what. No one says that life is a bed of roses and you should be willing to fight for something which you really believe in. You should always remember that it is failure which at the end of the day is the stepping stone towards success and those who taste failure constantly, really appreciate success and value it when it comes their way at a later point in time.
7. Taking calculated risks is also a very good thing to help you: In addition to having a positive bend of mind, it is also important to be willing to take some risks if you really wish to figure out what it is that you want to do in your life. Any successful business man will tell you that to reach his position of success he too had to take some risks in life. No one is saying that you have to put everything you have on the line; rather you should take calculated risks that could yield rich dividends for you in the long run. To make something of your life and to head in the right direction you have to ensure that you act smartly and do not get fooled by anyone who might want to swindle you and take you for a ride.
8. Spend some time alone with yourself: One of the best ways to help you figure out what it is that you want in life as well as from life, is by spending some time in thought with yourself. When you spend some time alone in quiet contemplation with yourself then you get to know yourself in a proper manner and you even get to think in a straight forward way without any kind of distractions. In addition to spending some time alone you can also spend some moments in communion with God and he will guide you along the way and help you to realize your true calling. In this time when you are trying to find yourself you can also seek support as well as help from your friends and family members.
9. Do as many internships as you can when you are young: In order to help you figure out what it is that you want to do in your life; you should start doing as many internships as you possible can in your younger days. Something which you thought was your calling in life, might not actually be so. So ensure that you choose something after careful weighing and measuring of the pros as well as cons. When you do internships then you actually find yourself in the thick of things and you can see if that is something which you can visualize yourself doing for the rest of your life. This being stated there is no problem in giving up on something, your heart is not set on.
10. Follow the dictates of your own heart and mind: You will never come to understand what it is that you want to do in your life if you do not follow the dictates of your own heart and mind. It is your life so you should try and make the most of it. If you do not take things seriously then at a later point in time you might end up regretting the decisions which you have made in life. So ensure that you do not waste your time indulging in things which will not help you in life rather the more things you learn and the better read you are, the faster you will be able to think about what is your calling in life. Spending your time doing things which you love is very rewarding indeed.
11. Do not try to get into a career to please others: Your aim in life should primarily be to keep yourself happy. As long as you have your head held high and are doing nothing which makes you feel guilty then you have absolutely nothing to be worried about. This having been started you should never try to become someone or try to join a career to please anyone else. There are a number of people who enter into certain professions to please certain family members but this is something which you should most certainly not do in your life.
12. Travel the world and try your best to broaden your horizons: The best way to figure out what you want to do in life is by travelling and touring the world. When you travel, it is advisable that you travel alone so that you can really absorb whatever sights you happen to see along the way. In addition to this, travelling helps you to get a new lease on life, things which seemed so important before, now are just insignificant and unimportant.
13. Do not go blindly chasing after money: When trying to figure out what you want to do in your life, it is advisable that you do not go in for something simply because you will be able to make a lot of money. If you want to enter the corporate world ensure that it is because you have a keen interest in business and because you love analyzing numbers. Chasing blindly after fame and fortune is a very silly and immature thing to do indeed.
14. Do not shy away from going into an unconventional line: In life you should never shy away from being someone who is a revolutionary and a trend setter, Rather than trying to follow in the footstep of someone else try your level best to create a path for yourself. Make your own mistakes along the way, but when you have reached your destination, you will be happy that you managed to do everything on your own.
15. Do not rush into anything no matter what: Finally it is important that you opt for something which you are sure you will never be bored of doing. Do something which is able to completely engage as well as absorb you. You ought to remember that you need not rush to make any decisions and the more well informed you are the better it will be for you in the long run.
There is no distinct way to figure out what you ought to do in life. There are some people who are aware of what they want to do right from a very young age where as there are also those who do not figure out what they want to do in life till they have attained a certain level of maturity and have gained some experience in life. No two individuals go through the same experiences in life, so you should live a little before you think about what it is that you want to do. As mentioned above there is no tearing hurry and since this is naturally a big decision, you ought to take your time and ensure that it is something that brings you happiness.