We all love to be in the good books of our bosses but sometimes what happens is that in the quest for getting there we end up being mean to some of our colleagues. But that should not be the case, in fact the scenario should be completely different from that. Because, mostly if you are popular with your colleagues and everybody is talking about you then automatically your boss will also be aware of your performance. Therefore, if it is promotion or any reward function your name will definitely appear on the list.
If you are not sure about what we are talking about then read on. Here we will be discussing 20 ways to impress your boss for the promotion.
1. Prioritize Tasks: To start with the mission of getting yourself noticed, what you can do is make the priorities of your boss your own priority as well. This will ensure that you are in line with the values and goals of your boss and also the company. When you are working towards the same goal and are helping out your boss in achieving his goal, then automatically you are coming into the limelight.
2. Strike the Right Chord:
When you are talking to your boss or discussing something just make sure that you know what you are talking about and speak in a natural way. Don’t be artificial and just make sure that you have some witty one-liners ready so that you are able to lighten up the mood too.
3. Taking care of the Nitty Gritties: There are always some works in the office that is easily overlooked by everybody because it is so insignificant. It may be as small as shutting down the computer completely before leaving. When you are leaving just look around and see which system is still on. If you find any then turn it off. Fixing minor glitches of the printer is also one of the things that you can do to make your boss take notice of you.
4. Work Smart:
If you are getting the job done efficiently and in less time by delegating your job then it will be more appreciated than taking a long time to complete the work all by yourself. The Company is worried about saving company’s time and money and by getting the job done in less time you are actually helping the cause.
5. Work Attitude:
When you are helping your colleague to finish their job after completing your work, then it surely gets noticed. You have to be a team player in order to impress your boss and come up with fine ideas which contributes towards the success of a business.
6. Performance speaks for itself: Impress your boss with numbers and not by words. You can keep on telling him how good you are at work, but if you are not able to prove it with numbers then it doesn’t count. So, start working towards getting your figures correct and it will definitely be noticed.
7. Anticipation is important: You are not in a school so everything won’t be informed. When you are assigned a task then you have to measure the pros and cons and take care of the whole proceedings effectively. If you want to impress your boss you have to walk that extra mile.
8. Breaking the News: In order to impress your boss you must be aware of even the smallest piece of news that is out in the market. Clip on the news and mail it with your entire team, including your boss to show him that you are really interested in the business that the company is doing.
9. Balancing Quality and Quantity: Quality time is more important, but in order to impress your boss you have to bring in the quantity too. Therefore, it is better that you come in early and leave a bit later, but do remember to put in equal effort throughout else it is not worth it.
10. Mr. Dependable: When you are committing something to your boss make sure that you over-deliver so that you get into notice and do that before the deadline because that will showcase your efficiency as well.
11. Know your Work:
It is not a good sign if you are running for help every now and then to complete the task that you have been assigned as that showcases your inefficiency. So, it is better that you do your research properly first and only turn up when you have to, as the last option.
12. Upgrade your Skills: If there is any new certifications regarding your job, then make sure that you get that done as that will show your interest towards getting your skills updated which in turn will be helpful for the company only because you will be able to increase the productivity.
13. Personal v/s Professional: When you are in the office work, like a thorough professional. Don’t bring in the personal complication into your professional world, as it will hamper your productivity and it will definitely not get down well with your boss as well.
14. Balancing the Workload:
Don’t ask for money instead ask for more work that you can complete efficiently as money will definitely follow suit. Be confident and don’t let others understand if you are worried from inside as it will earn you respect from your co-workers and will go down well with your boss too.
15. Take Initiatives: It is not necessary that you have to be a senior to arrange a small farewell party for a colleague who is retiring or if someone has been promoted. Your boss will be impressed with these small initiatives as well.
16. Health is important: If you are sick half the month, then that means you are not as productive half the time. Therefore, it is important that you take care of your health first so that you can be highly productive all throughout.
17. Be Flexible: If you are not scared to venture in unknown path, then it will send a good signal to your boss. If you are excited about the change that is coming in, then it shows your eagerness to know the unknown and proves that you are not scared of the challenges.
18. Know when to keep mum
Rather than just babbling out, it is better that you keep quiet and listen to what others have to say and take note of that. It is not necessary that in order to impress your boss you have to say anything that comes out of your mind.
19. Don’t show off: You might have received an award for your performance, but that doesn’t mean that you will keep on bragging about it. Instead, you just get back to your work quietly. This behavior will impress your boss more than anything else.
20. Be Humble: When you are leading a team you need to be compassionate towards your team member and help them perform better. Listen to their queries and solve it efficiently. Look for ways to improve your leadership qualities. All these traits in you will impress the boss and will get you the much desired promotion too.